Request for explanation of error message

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 29 10:58:03 UTC 2019

hi,
Am Montag, den 29.07.2019, 10:30 +0000 schrieb Mike Marchywka:

> > the error indicates that there are some broken file permissions
> >
> From ps it appeared to be running as root and later with lsof had
> some reasonable number of open files. netstat showed some
> connections.
the next logical step would be to strace the Xorg startup inside
lightdm and see where it gets an EPERM error (it should actually expose
a loop at the same fequency the messages show up in the log) ... but
thats a pretty advanced task ...

> if you "man lightdm" it seems to have a debug mode
> and Xorg has a verbose option. You can check the dates on
> any files they try to open again IIRC your logs exploded
> between the 16th and 22nd or something.

while the debug option might be helpful my guess is still on some
config file change, permission change of a socket in /tmp, /run or the
users home (lightdm also gets toplevel session errors typically) or
some new Xorg module that tries to be loaded due to a config change ...
so looking at timestamps of all the config files to see if there was a
change between these dates will surely also be helpful.

ciao
	oli