Request for explanation of error message

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:30:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:41:13AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,

> > Thanks to #openbsd's epony and oldlaptop, the resolution is to:
> >
> ... on openbsd ... which you are not running ;)
>
> (and in general it is a bad idea to randomly change system defaults
> while you are debugging an issue *only you* seem to have ... this
> indicates that something you changed actually broke it ... this is
> rarely caused by a system config everyone else uses too)

With only two messages that both return google hits it seemed like
an ok place to start but many systems don't have anyone else using
them so it is hard to get much from that.

> the error indicates that there are some broken file permissions ...
>
>From ps it appeared to be running as root and later with lsof had
some reasonable number of open files. netstat showed some connections.

You can go through and check the dates on the config files but
hopefully if you try to start it by hand with debug options,
either lightdm or X directly, you can get some idea
which files are most suspect. IIRC there was also a pci
error in this thread and you can see if anything triggers that.

There is probably a single user or recovery option if you get
a grub menu, select that one before it times out to normal boot.
You can use the prior ps output from your console command prompt,
iirc something like

/usr/sbin/lightdm

or the x command,

ps ax | grep lightdm
 1191 ?        SLsl   0:00 /usr/sbin/lightdm
 1243 tty7     Ssl+  79:47 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
 1332 ?        Sl     0:00 lightdm --session-child 12 19

if you "man lightdm" it seems to have a debug mode
and Xorg has a verbose option. You can check the dates on
any files they try to open again IIRC your logs exploded
between the 16th and 22nd or something.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox