copy/paste not working

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Mon Jul 22 18:15:39 UTC 2019

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000
Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

These have been helpful-

> > > xclip -o -selection p | strings

When I copy from falkon, whatever was in there before is cleared, but
the copied text is NOT there. So it seems KDE/falkon is doing
something, but not putting the copy there.

> > > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > > xclip -o -selection clip | strings

When I copy from falkon, these do not seem to change. The copied text
is not in any of these.

> > Or if xsel should be installed:
> >
> >   xsel -p -o | strings
> >   xsel -s -o | strings
> >   xsel -b -o | strings
> >
> > You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> > 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.
>
> I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
> but seem to recall now
> an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
> pasting.

I've noticed that when I copy text from a web page into kate, if I don't
highlight the text *EXACTLY* at the beginning and end of the text, it
seems to also copy chrs that prevent kate from printing all or part of
what was copied. I can see the full text on the screen in kate, so it
seems to paste OK, and it looks OK, but it won't print correctly.
This is also something that would be nice to fix.

Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of which
are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of life" :-)
and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms instead.
Sometimes progress seems to go backward...

Thanks again.