Filesystem corruption (was: wiped disk - no longer bootable)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jul 13 16:59:11 UTC 2019

<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>:
> > On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:30:31 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> >
> > For your benefit, always pull the mains plug.
> > For the benefit of your computer, get rid of static charge.
> >
> > I didn't read this article, excepted of the quoted part, it's funny:
> >
> > "Ground Your Body
> >
> > The fastest way to get rid of static electricity in the body is to
> > let the electricity do what it wants – discharge from your body into
> > the ground. To allow this, touch any conductive material not
> > isolated from the ground such as the screw on a light switch's panel
> > or a metal streetlight pole. You can also remove your shoes and
> > socks and stand on the ground if you are outside." -
> > https://sciencing.com/rid-static-electricity-body-5862942.html
>
> Are they serious with "remove your shoes and socks and stand on the
> ground if you are outside"? The rest sound reasonable.

Since your socks are generally slightly damp, thats the best solution.

However, and dependent on the flooring, one could develop a charge
walking back to where you are working, so generally speaking, an
anti-static wrist strap should be worn and clipped to the chassis of
whatever your are working on. Those normally have a relatively large
resistor incorporated in the lead to wrist strap connection that is
large enough to keep you from a dangerous current thru your body should
the other arm accidently come in contact with the high side of the line
power should you be inattentive enough to not have unplugged it from its
power source.

The danger level directly thru the heart muscle is usually considered to
be 20 microamps, a current you will not feel. And it extends upward to
about 20 milliamp's, which you will feel,  above that level the heart
will be frozen, and will if the current is removed in a minute or two by
some one noticing your predicament, generally start back up with a
normal beat rhythm.

Its the "window" between 20 microamp's and 20 milliamp's thats dangerous,
causeing fibrillation and it doesn't pump enough blood to keep you
alive. Thats how a defibber kit and its paddles work, by slamming a huge
charge thru the heart to freeze it for a fraction of a second and allow
the heart to resume its normal function.

> When I want to de-charge, I touch that protection conductor of a power
> socket.
>
> Bye!

I would not bet my life on it being grounded. Depending on who wired it,
it could even be hot. 99% of electricians are male AND nominally 30% of
those are color-blind.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis