Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Thu Jul 11 18:53:35 UTC 2019

Zitat von Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 18:11, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
>>
>> I have installed Ubuntu 19.04 on both the HDD and the SSD. But I am
>> *not* able to reproduce the corruption problem, on either disk. The
>> computer appears to run fine.
>
> That's good, right?

It depends...

> But we do not know yet if it's the newer BIOS.
>
> Are you using LVM + encryption + caching?

I'm installing ubuntu 19.04 with lvm+encryption right now. The
slow-installer problem seemed to strike again. The download bandwidth
is fluctuating very much.

>> I don't quite get it. Why do you need an LTS version? To rule out
>> sources of error?
>
> Many of us, me included, for machines which we use for work, only run
> LTS releases. I don't run the short-term support editions on any of my
> machines at the moment, and when I have had machines with them, they
> are for testing and playing around, not for serious use.
>
> Partly because upgrading every 6 months is a pain. Especially because
> sometimes things do not work right when you do. For example, I can
> only bear to use GNOME 3 if it is fairly heavily customised with
> extensions. In my experience, when you update to a new release, about
> half your GNOME extensions stop working. This can lead to an unusable
> desktop, e.g. can't log in, or can't run programs, or can't log out,
> or can't update/remove extensions.
>
> So I only use LTS editions.
>
> Partly because LTS releases get more testing and if there are serious
> problems they get fixed. With non-LTS ones, if there is a non-fatal
> problem, it might not get fixed until the next release, meaning you
> have to just live with it for 6 months.
>
> Then you might get new problems with the new release.

That's bad news.

How do you keep Gnome3 up to date? Are there Gnome-PPAs? Kubuntu had 2
PPAs for KDE, but the upgrade to the newest KDE didn't seem to work
well. Actually, there were a lot of problems with KDE.

I guess you do a do-release-upgrade to upgrade to the next LTS
release. Does this cause problems? I had a Kubuntu 16.04 LTS, which I
tried to upgrade to 18.04 LTS with do-release-upgrade. This completely
wrecked my system. I had to set up everything again.

The 16.04 LTS version was quite buggy with respect to KDE, even though
it was an LTS release. I mean it had packaging bugs, amongst others.

Thanks for your explaination. It means that I will probably stick with
LTS versions.

Bye
Volker