Filesystem corruption

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:56:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 18:11, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu 19.04 on both the HDD and the SSD. But I am
> *not* able to reproduce the corruption problem, on either disk. The
> computer appears to run fine.

That's good, right?

But we do not know yet if it's the newer BIOS.

Are you using LVM + encryption + caching?

> But the first point release, 19.04.1 should be more stable. Or..?

There won't be a point release of 19.04. Short-term editions don't get
point releases. Only LTS editions get them.

> I don't quite get it. Why do you need an LTS version? To rule out
> sources of error?

Many of us, me included, for machines which we use for work, only run
LTS releases. I don't run the short-term support editions on any of my
machines at the moment, and when I have had machines with them, they
are for testing and playing around, not for serious use.

Partly because upgrading every 6 months is a pain. Especially because
sometimes things do not work right when you do. For example, I can
only bear to use GNOME 3 if it is fairly heavily customised with
extensions. In my experience, when you update to a new release, about
half your GNOME extensions stop working. This can lead to an unusable
desktop, e.g. can't log in, or can't run programs, or can't log out,
or can't update/remove extensions.

So I only use LTS editions.

Partly because LTS releases get more testing and if there are serious
problems they get fixed. With non-LTS ones, if there is a non-fatal
problem, it might not get fixed until the next release, meaning you
have to just live with it for 6 months.

Then you might get new problems with the new release.