problems packaging kernel

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jul 8 06:59:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 08:05:35 +0200, Hajo Locke wrote:
>I wanted to ask this question in a devel-list, but it was denied,
>because iam not an official developer.

Hi,

the users mailing list is

1. definitively the right mailing list for this kinds of questions.

2. even if the developers list would be the right place (again, it
   isn't), your request is missing all the information to reproduce it.

Why are you trying to build a kernel package exactly that way:

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:23:56 +0200, Hajo Locke wrote:
>On Ubuntu 16 i aquired sources with: apt-get source
>linux-image-unsigned-4.4.0-154-generic I transfered this to a Ubuntu
>14 Server, installed all dependencies and start packaging with:
>dpkg-buildpackage

?

And way more important, how about posting the used commands with all of
their output?

Did you try to build the kernel without control and rules files the
source file might contain? You could use the config provided by the
source, you could apply patches manually, assuming the source does
contain any patches and then build a package the old faithful Debian
way.

Assuming the source contains control and rules files, then you might
need to do some editing.

Actually nobody knows what you really did. That's fine for a user's
list, but doesn't fit to the requirements of a developers list, even if
it would be the right place to ask (again, even then it wouldn't be the
right mailing list, this one is the right place for your request).

Maybe we are able to help, if you post all steps, with complete
commands, output, editing.

Regards,
Ralf