Left handed cursor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:24:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 10:51, Owen Thomas <owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use a mouse with my left hand too... I know it is to some, but to me, using my middle finger instead of my index finger has never been an issue. Thankfully, I have the standard five fingers on my left hand and I haven''t so far found any one of them as being of any particular preference.
>
> This thread gives me an opportunity to ask the following questions that have been on my mind for a while: What advantage does a lefty somehow miss when using a "right handed" mouse and pointer? Is this often debated?

As a lefty, I used to have my mice on the left, but I use the normal
fingers -- I never saw any need to reverse the buttons. It's just
confusing to me. Due to some slight RSI and more recently shoulder
problems with my left hand, a decade and a half ago, I switched to
right-handed mousing, to get my underused right arm to do a bit more
work and spare my overused left a little.

In either hand, I use index finger for primary click and middle finger
for right-click. Fingers have quite a lot of lateral movement and it's
easier and less cognitive effort than switching buttons, for me.
Perhaps I am unusual in this.

I'm not ambidextrous at all -- I'm very sinister -- but I've taught
myself to do some things right-handed both for exercise and for
improved dexterity. I brush my teeth with my right hand, and I mouse
with it. Neither was particularly difficult to learn.