Random problems with filesystem corruption.

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sun Dec 15 19:46:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-15 2:23 p.m., Paul Groves wrote:

> I do have clonezilla set up on a PXE server on the same network which i
> use mainly for cloning windows PCs, so can I just clone direct from the
> HDD to the smaller SSD then swap in the SSD?

If the Superblock has been corrupted... twice. there's really no telling
how much damage has been done to files.  I would suggest
rebuilding/re-installing everything from clean sources that can be.

Don't forget to test memory first.. and if there are no errors in Smart
and memory passes a good 6 hr burnin, then I wouldn't rule out
sacrificing the write cycle of an SSD to to a complete badblocks
read/write test.. (you aren't actually looking for bad blocks here, but
make sure that what the computer thinks is being written to the SSD is
what's actually getting read back.  Another way to test this would be to
fill a drive with a bunch of files on a known working computer, and do
some kind of checksum verification on all of them.  Move the drive to
your the malfunctioning computer, copy those files to SSD, and verify
the checksums.)

This problem can certainly be caused by a malfunctioning SSD, but it's
just as likely to be anything else in the I/O Path.  (Memory, Sata
Controller, Power Supply issues, etc.)