Any suggestions for library administration software please?

P. Echols p.echo926 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:48:41 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:05 AM David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:

> Thanks everybody for all the comments.
>
> I was hoping that there might be something in the repository with a non
> obvious name, of a standalone nature and easy to administer, backup and
> restore if necessary. Local computer expertise is rare!
>
> No suitable solutions so far. The laptop is now in the UK to be handed
> over to another volunteer.

DAVE,
Maybe impossible for your logistics, but the suggestion of something
like Koha on a LAMP server isn't out of the question.  (I know, the
laptop is already gone, stand by)

As someone mentioned, a laptop can run a LAMP server.  The same laptop
can also have a GUI that comes up, where you can launch a browser,
that will connect to said server.  There you have a standalone system.

Ease of administration?  As easy as a laptop.  The setup can take some
fiddling, but running it isn't really all that tough.

Backups?  Set up some scripts to do it automatically.

Restore?  Depends on what your backup scripts do.

But, you say, the laptop is already in route.  Yup, so Install what
you want on a computer here create an image of that system on a thumb
drive and send that to Nepal with instructions on how to reverse the
process once the laptop gets there.