resolv.conf questions

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Aug 13 16:23:55 UTC 2019

Le mar. 13 août 2019 à 17:57, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> a écrit :

> At Tue, 13 Aug 2019 09:01:22 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not
> for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> DSL *maxes* at 3MB/Sec (this is the *technical* limitiation). DSL IS NOT
> "Broadband" (as defined by the FCC -- Broadband is 25Mbits or greater). It
> only works within 18,000 wire feet of the CO (assuming of course that the
> copper is any good). Probably all CO's are DSL capable at this time -- so
> what. This is meaningless for almost all *rural* areas, since most rural
> customers are more the 18,000 wire feet from the CO and are are served by
> "concentrators", most of which do not include DSLAMs (needed to support
> DSL).
> DSL is actually obsolete techology and DSL *equipment* is no longer made.
> Oh,
> and Verizon is phasing it out.

Nah. You've got it wrong. On the same cabling, my operator switched from
DSL to VDSL (they just changed a board in their DSLAM, but nothing else)
and the max VDSL speed is 5MB/SEc (actually 52 Mb/s). As specified here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

And yes that qualifies as broadband as it's significantly over 25 Mb/s...

But true... you need to be close enough to the DSLAM...

Gilles

Gilles Gravier - ggravier at fsfe.org
Using Google Apps web mail