19.04 upgrade problems

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 25 15:11:09 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 03:55:41PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> I have just tried to upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04, but encountered two
> problems.
>
> The more serious one was that linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic could not be
> installed. I got an error message that said:-
>    triggers looping, abandoned
> and it suggested filing an error report.
>
> The upgrade was aborted and a recovery was run (dpkg -configure
> -a).This has left me with my old kernel.
>
> My immediate question now is, is it OK to reboot and run all the new
> upgraded software with the old kernel? Or would I be better off trying
> a completely new installation? If I did this, is it likely I would
> encounter the same error during the installation? Would I be better off
> re-installing 18.10?

Rebooting is fine.  You certainly do not need to reinstall.  You can
probably recover by repeating the upgrade of just
linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic (i.e. "apt install
linux-image-5.0.0-13-generic"), and then continuing with anything else
that wasn't upgraded ("apt full-upgrade"); if that fails then post the
full transcript.