Outlook installation

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Apr 10 10:44:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 09:47 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Evolution certainly does work with Exchange. I use it all the time with our Exchange 2010 system at work.
> It needs the EWS (Exchange Web Services) plugin (package evolution-ews) to work. It has its quirks but works
> really well for me.

Hi,

as an Evolution user subscribed to
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list I need to chime
in.

Note, I'm not an evolution-ews user. However, those evolution-ews
"quirks" are a showstopper for some users, apart from this Evolution is
known to be not well supported for Ubuntu flavours. Evolution is not in
"main", it is in "universe". Software from "universe" not necessarily
suffers from serious issues, but actually Evolution does so, again and
again.

YMMV! But the Evolution mailing list archives confirms my claim, let
alone that I speak from personal experience. On Ubuntu I'm using Claws,
I'm using Evolution on Arch Linux.

Instead of doing other users homework by searching the Evolution mailing
list archives, here a link to the mailing list archive of this list:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2019-April/296601.html

If this is caused by evolution-ews, than already good night! Were is the
end of quoting Liam and where does start Tony's reply? I guess nobody
want's to correspond with business partners by sending broken emails.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:47:20 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 08:11, Pin2 <pintooyadav15 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear team,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and wanted to use ms outlook!  Is it
>> possible??
>
>There are several possible answers.
>
>[1] No, not natively. Use the web version instead.
>
>[2] You could try to run it using WINE. This may work; I use it to run
>Word 97 and Word 2003 on my machines, because LibreOffice doesn't have
>an outliner. (And the control keys for the menus don't work in LO on
>Ubuntu, making it painful to use for me)

I'm using wine/wine-staging to run an editor for my guitar synth. It
works like a charm. It once gets broken, when wine/wine-staging was
updated to a new release, something that doesn't happen within an Ubuntu
release. While this didn't happen on Ubuntu, it could happen when
updating to another Ubuntu release.
Way more problematic could become an update of the Windows executable.
An advantage of the guitar synth editor is, that I don't need to update
the guitar synth editor. To fix security issues, somebody using Outlook
needs to update Outlook on a regular basis. Each update of software that
runs using wine, might not run anymore after an update.

>[3] If normal free WINE doesn't work, try CrossOver Office.
>
>[4] If even CrossOver can't run the version you want, then run a
>Windows VM in Virtualbox (or other hypervisor) and install Outlook in
>there. But this means all of the performance and security problems of
>real Windows.)

In addition the Windows guest suffers from VirtualBox related
performance issues, too and some software, such as the guitar synth
editor can't access the hardware in the needed way, when using
VirtualBox. I run iTunes using a Windows 7 guest. Apart from the
performance and security issues, even VirtualBox could fail after an
VirtualBox update, but at least the software running under the guest OS
is less prone to fail after a guest software security update. Anyway, I
recommend to test Virtualbox. I don't see why wine should be more
secure, let alone that VirtualBox allows to restore the Windows install
from snapshots and from a Linux host backup (as wine does, too). If you
really need Outlook, consider to test VirtualBox with a Windows guest.
VirtualBox is not the best optimized virtual machine, but the most user-
friendly virtual machine and for many tasks a virtual machine could be
way better than using wine/wine-staging.

Regards,
Ralf