printer problem [solved]

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Wed Sep 26 13:54:26 UTC 2018

On 26/09/18 12:14, Richard Kimber wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 22:05:27 +0100 Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
>
>> My (very limited) understanding is that CUPS should be able to get
>> everything it needs to create a PPD file by querying the printer
>> direct. If it can't (as appears to be the case) then either CUPS is
>> broken and needs an update, or the printer is not capable of talking
>> to CUPS.
>
> Thanks. It turned out, bizarrely, to be a browser problem - though
> I've no idea why the basic ubuntu-mate configuration that I tried
> initially wouldn't work.
>
> After trying the Control Center method, I then tried to access CUPS
> via http://localhost:631 using Chrome browser, but this didn't offer
> me the option of giving my user and password - I just got a blank
> page saying 'Unauthorized' when I selected 'Add Printer'. However,
> switching to Firefox produced the requisite authorisation dialog, and
> I was able to proceed from there.

Very interesting. Chrome does appear to have some significant caching
problems as well as a rather idiosyncratic approach to HTML. Possibly
not coincidentally, this was noted by some speakers and delegates at the
annual XML Summer School in Oxford the week before last, so it does seem
to be a thing. I hope they fix it, because I'd hate to have to go back
to FF since I deleted it from my systems.

///Peter