ssh to windows, terminal doesn't work.

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Tue Sep 25 22:44:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:31 AM Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 24/09/18 03:32, Peter Silva wrote:
> > putty exists on ubuntu! Cool. I learned something... installed it,
> > putty behaves the same (terminal settings are all wrong, editing
> > files results in blank screens).
>
> Once you log in, what environment does Windows sshd put you *into*?
> Windows Terminal? Command Prompt?

I get CMD.  I can then type powershell, or bash (it has WSL also...) and
they both startup,
but my terminal doesn't work.

The TERM setting is xterm-256color ... which is passed by the ssh client
(plain old ssh on my ubuntu box) to Windows ssh server.

> > Did you notice that I am ssh'ing TO windows... not from windows?
>
> Yes, and I didn't know you could do that. My immediate suspect is the
> windows ssh server: what is it, where did it come from, who wrote it,
> and is there a forum for it?

It is a built-in part of windows 10 for the last year or so (maybe only
since the spring?)
Just used control panel to enable the optional feature.
https://winaero.com/blog/enable-openssh-server-windows-10/

I have used Terminal Services before, I would really prefer an SSH session.
-