ssh to windows, terminal doesn't work.

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Sep 24 07:30:46 UTC 2018

On 24/09/18 03:32, Peter Silva wrote:
> putty exists on ubuntu! Cool. I learned something... installed it,
> putty behaves the same (terminal settings are all wrong, editing
> files results in blank screens).

Once you log in, what environment does Windows sshd put you *into*?
Windows Terminal? Command Prompt?

> Did you notice that I am ssh'ing TO windows... not from windows?

Yes, and I didn't know you could do that. My immediate suspect is the
windows ssh server: what is it, where did it come from, who wrote it,
and is there a forum for it?

> Peter Silva <peter at bsqt.homeip.net>
> writes:
>
>> I enabled ssh server on a windows desktop, and I can now ssh to it
>> from my ubuntu laptop, and run cmd.exe, powershell and bash (WSL)
>> which all work fine, except that in none of them do terminal
>> applications work properly.

I wouldn't expect any of them to work as terminal applications: they
expect to "see" the Windows window manager, not whatever ssh or puTTY
provides. But I'm not a frequent Windows users, so I may be wrong on this.

I have used remmina successfully to log into a Windows system remotely.
This gets you full desktop emultion, so it's slow, but it seems to work.

///Peter