Ubuntu doesn't enter any WM except Gnome on Wayland

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 20 23:54:16 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-20 06:43 PM, Tedd M. V. wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> I have a machine using Ubuntu 18.04 with the kernel 4.15.0-34-generic
> using all the latest updates I have tried in the past to use another WM,
> but every time and install one and reboot to select it at the login
> screen it seems to load, a black screen appears and then the login
> screen shows agains.

Try creating a new user and login to your alternate desktop as that
user.  I'm not proposing this as the final fix, but it will at least
assure you that the system is working properly.

I suspect your problem is probably a .Xauthority file in your home
folder that is owned by root.  You should be able to simply delete this
file and try again.