How to remove "user at host's password" from ssh login prompt?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 16:37:56 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 04:49:31PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Most of the systems that respond with "chris@<hostname>'s password:"

I'd just like to clarify once again that, while I understand that it
looks that way, that is *not* a response from the remote system.  The
conversation between the client and the server looks something like this
(in part):

  C: I'd like to authenticate as "chris"
  S: OK; I understand the authentication methods "publickey" and
     "password"
  C: I have no public key, so let me go and ask the user for the
     password for chris@<hostname> ...
  C: I'd like to authenticate as "chris" using the "password" method;
     here's my password
  S: either "success", "failure", or "your password has expired and you
     need to change it now"

So in order to work out why there's a discrepancy we need to look at the
parts where it's possible for this to differ between servers, probably
the authentication method that's being used.