Launcher icon size

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Oct 22 16:16:14 UTC 2018

On Monday 22 October 2018 09:35:09 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 13:19, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Liam, please take a look at TDE.
>
> Aha, you mean Trinity, the fork of KDE 3?
>
> Yes, I know it.
>
> There is a discussion in openSUSE whether to offer Trinity. They have
> currently decided not to, for the following reasons:
>
> [1] it's moribund with almost no code commits & major unfixed bugs
> open
>
> [2] SUSE still supports KDE 3 on old versions of SLED. It has fixed
> bugs still unfixed in TDE.

I wasn't aware of that.

> [3] Like Maté inherited a ton of code from GNOME 2 that's no longer
> maintained, TDE inherits a ton of code from KDE 3. This all needs to
> be maintained, because all its tooling has been superseded twice now,
> first by KDE 4 and then that by KDE 5. There is not enough manpower to
> do this.
>
> It is active but it has few users or maintainers.
>
> For me, I have not tried it, because I didn't personally like KDE 3.
>
> I liked KDE 1.

So did I, in about 1999. What it did was give you the basics, and it all
worked,

> KDE 2 I found was cluttered.

And bugs weren't fixed without a lot of users fussing. Bugzilla itself
was a cast iron pita in those days. Demanding folks use it or be ignored
cut their maintenance work by 95%. That eventually did get fixed, its
actually useable for several years now, but old habits die hard and we
both are well aware of that.

> Corel LinuxOS made it usable. I blogged
> about this yesterday:

Must have missed that, don't get your blog.

> https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/59010.html
>
> Xandros, the continuation of Corel, tried but didn't get far at taming
> KDE 3. :-(

It did need taming. Some of its eye candy had the beginnings of a
dangerous beast. TDE seems to have fixed everything except the
intermittent loss of indexes in kmail 1.9.

> KDE 4 was beyond bloated into parody.

Not even Gas-X could fix that, and I suspect an 8 core 3.5GHz cpu and
24Gb of memory would be overworked trying. I only have a 4 core 2.1 GHz
phenom and 8 Gb.  Two days of uptime and I was a gigabyte into swap.
Right now its 10 days uptime and 24 megs into swap.

> KDE 5 is only a tiny bit better
> but loses important functionality  -- e.g. a panel can't span 2
> monitors any more.

Is that a qt5 problem, or kde's?  I don't have room for 2 monitors, but
do have a plethora of workspaces. What you might use for monitors
probably has a printer occupying that space here.

> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> lproven at gmail.com Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053

Take care Liam.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett