18.04 has no support for my printer

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Oct 15 21:06:44 UTC 2018

On 15/10/18 20:19, Charles Irons wrote:
> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print.

ALL distros suffer from significant printer-driver incompatibilities
using CUPS.

> Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which
> files I would need?

Usually only one: an actual working driver spec for your printer, which
is a PPD file (ends in .ppd and usually named after the printer). With
CUPS installed, do a manual new-printer setup, and where it asks you to
select the driver, give the PPD file location in the file selector.

> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)

I'm using 3.17.11 — sometimes just a minor version can make all the
difference. I see the current version is 3.18.9 so I *strongly* suggest
you download it from the hplip site and try it.

> warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file

That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.

///Peter