18.04 has no support for my printer

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 23:01:07 UTC 2018

On Mon 15 Oct 2018 at 22:06:44 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 15/10/18 20:19, Charles Irons wrote:
> > 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print.
>
> ALL distros suffer from significant printer-driver incompatibilities
> using CUPS.

Significant? Really? Examples, please.

> > Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which
> > files I would need?
>
> Usually only one: an actual working driver spec for your printer, which
> is a PPD file (ends in .ppd and usually named after the printer). With
> CUPS installed, do a manual new-printer setup, and where it asks you to
> select the driver, give the PPD file location in the file selector.
>
> > HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
>
> I'm using 3.17.11 — sometimes just a minor version can make all the
> difference. I see the current version is 3.18.9 so I *strongly* suggest
> you download it from the hplip site and try it.

The 1510 has been supported since hplip 3.13.8. I very much doubt 3.18.9
from the hplip site would make any difference. The hpcups driver is
hardly likely to to have changed in any significant way.

> > warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_1510_1804.ppd ppd file
>
> That's the one it's looking for. Sometimes the CUPS that comes with
> distros simply omits a driver. I always use a fresh hplip to install.

Whatever you think that iwarning means (and you do not say) - it does
not mean what you think it means. Your interpretation is about as far
from reality as it is possible to get.

CUPS (do you really mean CUPS?) has very few drivers and is not likely
to omit any.

--
Brian.