18.04 has no support for my printer

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 19:46:29 UTC 2018

Hi Charles,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 20:22, Charles Irons <irons.charles at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ubuntu Support
>
> 18.04 looks good until I discover that I cannot print. Your advice will be
> a huge relief.
> Maybe I could restore files from 16.04 backup but have no idea which files
> I would need?

I am not a printer expert, but I have some experience in this area. I have
an HP LaserJet.

In order to get my LaserJet working with 18.04, I had to use the command
line:-

1. Install some support packages:-
sudo apt install python3-pyqt4 python3-pyqt5
(At that point I would reboot).

2. Again, at the command line:-
sudo hp-setup

3. Use something to try and print. Use Simple Scan to scan a test image.

(One of the advantages to running hp-setup at the command line is you get
to see what could be very revealing error messages).

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software