Hibernate 18.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:58:37 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 13:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> IIRC, there is some "trick" in that your choose a full shutdown from, I think,
> right click on Start menu, it makes the Win10 boot take longer, but means you
> can still access the Win partition from Ubuntu, without that there was also a
> problem with the backup app in ubuntu or maybe it was cloning that failed (I
> don't have a 10 here to check)

That's what I thought... but Win10 is a moving target with a whole new
release roughly every 6 months.

I was repeatedly getting failed Ubuntu boots (gee, thanks, systemd!)
because although I chose "shut down" in Win10, it did this
partial-hibernation thing.

As this article explains, certain updates reset it to "on by default".
Thanks, MICROS~1!

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

So step 1, disable that.

Step 2, disable hibernation totally, and get a few gig of disk space
back into the bargain.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2011/07/28/Disable-Windows-hibernation-and-free-up-disk-space.aspx

I doubt it'll help with Ubuntu tho'.