Snap tutorial crashed my repositories

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:26:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 15:28, Charles IRONS <irons.charles at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again Liam
>
> I am still lost. When I read /etc/apt/sources.list ,  I don't know what may be a duplicate. For example;
>
> deb http://mirror.wiru.co.za/ubuntu/ xenial universe
> deb-src http://mirror.wiru.co.za/ubuntu/ xenial universe
>
> Is the second line a duplicate? If not, there are no actual duplicates in /etc/apt/sources.list

No, those are not duplicates. The "-src" bit is significant. It means
the 1st line is for binary packages (i.e. compiled programs) and the
2nd line is for _source_ packages (the raw program code the binaries
are built from).

> Similarly, files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d  :
> opera-stable.list, opera-stable.list.distUpgrade, opera-stable.list.save, xenial-partner.list and xenial-partner.list.save
> do show what look identical except that they seem to be for different purposes..
>
> > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > Browser (final releases) disabled on upgrade to xenial
>
> > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > Browser (final releases)
>
> > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > Browser (final releases) disabled on upgrade to xenial

Those 3 _are_ duplicates.

The actual lines are the same, so those are all equivalent to each
other. You only need one line. It doesn't matter hugely which one(s)
you remove, but insert a # at the beginning of any one, save the file,
and try again.

> > deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner
>
> > deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner

Ditto -- those are duplicates and will cause the errors you are getting.

Note, the error messages you highlighted with  question marks in your
previous email does explicitly tell you which files and even which
line numbers contain the duplicates.