Snap tutorial crashed my repositories

Charles IRONS irons.charles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:28:17 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-10-08 at 16:42 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 12:06, Charles IRONS <irons.charles at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Hello Liam Proven & others
> >
> > Thanks. I have just discovered ubuntu-users again and read your
> > replies to my issue.
> >
> > I have used the last advice from Liam and saved the output because
> > there were some warnings. Please check those marked with
> > ????????????
> >
> > I am keen to upgrade to 18.04.1 but want to be sure 16.04 is fixed
> > first.
> >
> > Thanks for helping an old retired end user.
> Best not to send attachments to mailing lists, by the way. Most block
> them. I'm surprised it worked.
>
> The error is what it says. You have some repositories listed more
> than
> once in your repository config files.
>
> You need to go through
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> and all the files in the folder
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d
> ... and check for duplicate lines. If there are any, comment out all
> but one by inserting a # at the begi

Hello again Liam
I am still lost. When I read /etc/apt/sources.list ,  I don't know what
may be a duplicate. For example;
deb http://mirror.wiru.co.za/ubuntu/ xenial universe
deb-src http://mirror.wiru.co.za/ubuntu/ xenial universe
Is the second line a duplicate? If not, there are no actual duplicates
in /etc/apt/sources.list
Similarly, files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d  :
opera-stable.list, opera-stable.list.distUpgrade, opera-
stable.list.save, xenial-partner.list and xenial-partner.list.save
do show what look identical except that they seem to be for different
purposes..
> > > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > > Browser (final releases) disabled on upgrade to xenial
> > > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > > Browser (final releases)
> > > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera
> > > Browser (final releases) disabled on upgrade to xenial
> > > deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner
> > > deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner
I hope all this is correctly copied for your scrutiny.
Thanks again for your advice.