OT: reference to a wordpress resource??

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Nov 29 21:28:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:50:13 -0500 (EST)
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:11:32 -0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,
> not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > I've got a ubuntu server and wordpress site. I want to upload
> > hundreds of files to the WP media library and have them found by
> > interested users using the built in WP search function. Can anyone
> > refer me to a reference for this? I've gone through the WP plugins
> > and have not found what I want. Also a WP mailing list as opposed
> > to forum would be useful.
>
> Unless you upload the media files via the WP media uploader (eg one
> at a time). WP is not going to know about the files. Eg if you use
> FTP or SSH or rsync or such CLI tools to transfer the files into some
> random place under the wp-content/uploads/ WP won't know the files
> are even there.

yes, I've uploaded about 200 as a test using the wp multi-file uploader
and they show up in the media library ok

> The WP people don't believe in E-Mail lists. One *must* use the
> pointy-clicky WP forum (which on some levels sucks). You can't even
> posts to a forum you are subscribed to.

yes a serious PITA

> There are plugins available for managing general file downloads and
> various plugins for managing media files (images, etc.) in various
> ways (galleries, etc.).  The Download Manager plugin can probably be
> searched.  I don't know what search options the various image
> management plugins provide for.

yes and the forums are full of self-promoting plugin authors with a
very low signal to noise ratio. I'll look at the download manager
plugin.

Dave

--
In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are

----- Ursula Le Guin