printing issues RESOLVED

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 06:22:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 23 Nov 2018 at 19:15:25 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> [Snip]
>
> > > Here is what I would do on your system for printing:
> > >
> > > 1. Decide whether to use one or other of the USB or wireless
> connections.
> > >
> > > 2. If USB is chosen, delete the two HPLIP queues. You could also purge
> > >    HPLIP from the system as it is no longer used.
> > >
> > > 3. If wireless is chosen, uncomment "CreateIPPPrinterQueues All" in
> > >    /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf" and restart cups-browsed. Delete the
> two
> > >    HPLIP queues. You could also purge HPLIP as it is no longer used.
> > >
> > > Keep things simple; you do not need USB and wireless at the same time.
> > > And, by using driverless printing, all HPLIP bugs can be avoided and
> > > nobody need bother about installing non-free plugins for printing ever
> > > again.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > I purged  HPLIP sudo apt-get remove --purge hplip.
>
> You've gone this far so you could do
>
>   sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
>
> to clean up other packages which are not needed now.
>
> I'll also point out (before anyone else does) that, if you have a need
> for scanning, some readjustment will be now be needed. Anyway, one thing
> at a time. Back to printing.
>
> > I removed the printer I installed wirelessly (I never installed one to
> > print by USB).  I still have a printer I can not remove using
>
> Ok, you didn't actively install a USB print queue but you did have a
> USB connection and, in that situation, Ubuntu will automatically set an
> IPP printer up for you. Many users would appreciate that facility. I
> hope you have disconnected the printer from the USB port.
>
> > 'System/Devices/Printers.'  It is
> > labeled  HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C7.    I can not print from it when
> using
> > the Ubuntu interface, I can with the Unity interface-  I can not delete
> it
> > from there either as I gave no print interface, that is, there is no
> > System/Devices/Printers.
>
> I use Debian, but its printing system and that of Ubuntu are identical
> for all intents and purposes. However, I am unfamiliar with the two
> interfaces you refer to. If the Ubuntu interface is based on GNOME I can
> think of a reason. Would you describe what you see there *immediately*
> after restarting cups-browsed.
>
> > I added the printer using  'System/Devices/Printers.'  It works and
> appears
> > to be working correctly.
> >
> > I uncommented "CreateIPPPrinterQueues All.  I restarted CUP sudo
> systemctl
> > restart cups.service  I now have 3 printers listed .
>
> It is essential to restart cups-browsed. Does 'lpstat -t' also show these
> three printers? Please post the output if it shows more than 1.

> [...]

I just sent the previous just as you were noting that I would need to do
something to activate scanning

 lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for DeskJet-3630:
dnssd://HP%20DeskJet%203630%20series%20%5B61C73D%5D._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-18602461c73d
device for HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_:
ipp://HP18602461C73D.local:631/ipp/print
DeskJet-3630 accepting requests since Sat 24 Nov 2018 06:48:30 AM CET
HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_ accepting requests since Sat 24 Nov 2018
07:05:36 AM CET
printer DeskJet-3630 is idle.  enabled since Sat 24 Nov 2018 06:48:30 AM CET
printer HP_DeskJet_3630_series_61C73D_ is idle.  enabled since Sat 24 Nov
2018 07:05:36 AM CET

 garyk