modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:44:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 16:32, Chris <chris.pollock1948 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To be honest no I can't tell the difference however my eyes aren't the
> greatest either. Possibly if I tried a different Gnome theme I'd be
> able to.

Hmmm.

Generally, the image should fit _exactly_ onto the screen with no need
for any size or positioning adjustment. Any moiré patterning should
have disappeared. The image should blink into view instantly with no
delay for adjustment or sensing of picture size.

> > Silly question. You *did* remove the VGA cable, right?
> Yep :)

I've done it myself!

> That I'm not sure of however the question comes to mind that why did
> this only start when I upgraded from 16.04.5LTS to 18.04.1LTS? In fact
> it started as soon as I booted into the new version.

Well, I had this with about 13.04 or so.

Actually, hang on, I asked on the list...
*new Gmail tab*
*searches*
*gotcha*

I'll post it below my sig.

As you'll see, with a new version, screen detection failed.

I traced it: with a BNC to VGA cable, 12.04 just trusted me what the
screen was and let me set the resolution.
12.10 didn't. It tried to detect it, couldn't because the BNC cable
does not pass EDID infomation, and left me stuck in 640*480.

I had to replace the cable.

But it was working fine for several versions before that.

So, an analogous problem to yours.

> Do you see anything in the ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log -
> https://pastebin.com/xdP4GY6G that could be the cause?

Is that the same one as before? It seems to be sensing via a VGA port.

-----