printing issues

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Nov 22 12:00:02 UTC 2018

On 22/11/2018 07:15, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have an HP printer which has been working flawlessly on 18.04.  I am
> now gettng the following error
> Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket
>
> In addition when I search for Printers there is no longer any listing
> for it.  Two printers show on HP device manager.  One shows a
> communication error.  I can print to the other but it is only printing
> partial pages.
>
> I reinstalled everything named "Cups" and already installed via Synaptic.
>
> Any suggestions?

For HP printers I have always got them working this way:

1. go to https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
2. download HPLIP for your distribution
3. execute the .run file
4. give your password when asked
5. answer the questions and perform the actions (read carefully)
6. create the NAME of your printer meaningfully (one word, plain ASCII)

When it's done (about 15 mins) go to http://localhost:631 and check that
CUPS can see your printer under the name you gave it under Printers,
then click on the name and select Test Page from the Maintenance menu.
Use the Administration menu to [re]set the defaults (eg paper size).

///Peter