bottledaemon stop/start doesn't work if killed elsewhere

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Nov 18 18:11:54 UTC 2018

At Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:32:12 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using bottledaemon to run a little REST service on a Pi that takes
> input from other machines on the LAN and stores stuff in a database.
> I have a cron job to call 'stop' and 'start' on it daily, just in case
> of problems.
>
> Occasionally the oom-killer runs overnight and kills the process using
> bottledaemon; when this happens (unlike properly stopping the daemon),
> the pidfile and its lockfile are left on the filesystem, so the 'stop'
> does nothing and the 'start' gets refusedq because the old pidfile and
> lockfile are present.  At the moment, I eventually notice something
> wrong with the output data, ssh into the Pi, and rm the two files then
> call 'start' on the daemon again.
>
> Is there a recommended or good way to handle this situation
> automatically?

This is *definately* a bug in the systemd service scripts for bottledaemon.
The stop script should rm the pidfile and lockfile, even if the daemon happens
to be dead.  This is what any *properly* written daemon stop script does.  So,
you need to file a bug report.  In fact the *start* script should check to see
if the pidfile and lockfile are still legit -- eg is the pid in the pidfile a
valid pid, etc.  Also part of a *properly* written daemon start script.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933