Query about parasitic firefox file

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:48:18 UTC 2018

On 23 March 2018 at 18:29, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> Main Stream Media, like cbsnews.com etc. None of which have any
> conservative bloggers except FoxNew.com's Hannity.

Winona emailed me to explain. Odd, most stuff works for me, but Chrome
is better for video.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb

> Which I'm sorry to say is his major problem.

Yeah, but symptom, not disease. The disease is having 6 distros or
something, including out-of-date duplicates, when you don't fully
understand partitioning etc.

>> Web browsers are right at the sharp end of Internet security.
>
> And seem to be self-sharpening. :)

They have to be. It's a constant race between them and the crackers.

> If something that just works was brought in, so the basic functionality
> continues.  But it appears from here that wasn't in the plan.

No. No! The plan is replacing error-prone C code with more secure Rust
code. It's a good idea.

I just think they made a mistake binning all their addons and their
customisability in so doing.

> Opera is a no show, and isn't vivaldi a clone of chrome from China?

You've got it ass-backwards.

Opera was a Norwegian product.  One of the oldest WWW browsers, turned
into a product with sponsorship from Norsk Telecom.

Later, they grew tired of the massive amount of work in maintaining
their own rendering engine, so they binned it and adopted Blink, the
Chrome rendering engine.

Then the company was sold to a Chinese company.

Some of the founders started a fork, Vivaldi, with the old rendering
engine. That too may have now switched to Blink, sadly.

> Ahh, can I blame that on oldtimers? :)

Check the mirror. :-P

> Thats true, and while the video's generally work in PM, they also freeze
> for a couple secs now and then.

Pale Moon is OK but it's _very_ old. Waterfox is basically the same
idea, but branched off the last codebase that still ran the old
addons.

> Take care Liam, and don't ever get to close to the PC crowd. I've heard
> theres not a cure for it. :(

There are worse fates! :-D

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053