16.04 update/dist-upgrade

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 15:57:56 UTC 2018

14 March 2018  at 9:04, Colin Law wrote:
Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)

>On 14 March 2018 at 07:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
>ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

Thanks for any and all help

>> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable
>> 16.04
>> system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install from a
>> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run

>> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade
>>
>> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous
>> unuseable
>> situation [1]

>After it has failed, boot off a live image and look at /var/log/syslog on
>the hard disk to see if there are any clues as to the problem.

I will try that now

Live session up and running /var/log/syslog very long and nothing jumps out but
to be honest not sure what I'm looking for, is there a way to clean and start
afresh ? (as it has booted may times since the re-install)

I even managed to re-boot after an update/dist-upgrade with warm a reboot, but
then after a cold boot it was u/s again and stayed that way

>Have you got auto-logon enabled?  If yes then disable it. If no then I
>presume you are not even getting the logon screen.

I had auto-logon not sure how to change as I can't use the system, would
falling back to pre-update kernel allow that change? I could turn it off next
time I re-install? (seems I may have to do that)