16.04 update/dist-upgrade

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:34:24 UTC 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 15:57, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> 14 March 2018  at 9:04, Colin Law wrote:
> Re: 16.04 update/dist-upgrade (at least in part)
>
> >On 14 March 2018 at 07:33, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
> >ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for any and all help
>
> >> After having hugep[1] problems following an attempt to get my old stable
> >> 16.04
> >> system to hwe, I made a complete (Duel boot with Win7) fresh install
> from a
> >> 16.04.3 USB, the tried to run
>
> >> ~$ sudo update -y && sudo dist-upgrade
> >>
> >> all went smoothly, but once I re-booted I was back to the previous
> >> unuseable
> >> situation [1]
>
> >After it has failed, boot off a live image and look at /var/log/syslog on
> >the hard disk to see if there are any clues as to the problem.
>
> I will try that now
>
> Live session up and running /var/log/syslog very long and nothing jumps
> out but
> to be honest not sure what I'm looking for, is there a way to clean and
> start
> afresh ? (as it has booted may times since the re-install)

Put it in pastebin or somewhere and post the link.

> I had auto-logon not sure how to change as I can't use the system, would
> falling back to pre-update kernel allow that change? I could turn it off
> next
> time I re-install? (seems I may have to do that)

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and comment out autologin-user line.
That assumes it is using lightdm. Not certain of that with 16.04 but I
think it is.

The fact that you have autologin enabled and syslog is not showing anything
obvious means it may well be  a graphics problem after login and not a boot
problem at all.  What graphics card do you have?

Colin