System Update froze - UbuntuMATE 16-04

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 23 01:37:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 02:38:53AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 22/06/2018, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Please slow down, read more carefully, stop attributing malice where
> > none exists, and don't panic.
>
> I believe that I have not alleged malice, in this topic.

In https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-June/294192.html
you misconstrued Colin Law's analysis of the situation and described it
as follows:

> With the bug having been identified, and the effects conforming to the
> specified effects of the bug, as experienced by other people, you now
> claim the confirmed bug to be imaginary?

... when Colin Law did no such thing, but only made an assessment of the
*effects* of that bug.  In general it would be somewhere on the spectrum
between arrogant and malicious for a competent person to deny that an
obvious bug exists; I find it hard to interpret this as anything other
than an allegation of malice.

> As for panic, remember, it is ME who stands to lose data. No-one else
> in this discussion, in this instance. Only me. So, people can suggest
> that I stick the computer in a bath full of water, to clean out the
> problem, with no risk to their data. But, in this case, it is MY data
> that is at risk. No-one else's.

Sure.  But you're firing off dozens of messages in this thread with
apparently very little patience (compare
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-June/294228.html and
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-June/294229.html,
for instance - your message hadn't "vapourised", a copy of it just
hadn't got back to you yet).  Not only does this tend to overwhelm
people who otherwise might be inclined to help, but taking this approach
to debugging a system problem can easily make things worse ...