synaptic on 17.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 25 01:51:44 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 09:23 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> I've just upgraded a friend's machine to Ubuntu 17:10 and joined a long
> list of people who've discovered that synaptic wont start.
>
> Has anyone information as to if/when this disastrous failure of testing
> has/will be fixed?
>
> Peter HB

No idea when/if it will be fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/1712089
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/backintime/+bug/1713313

Rather than selecting X at the login, you can temporarily use this
workaround:

>From a terminal:

$ xhost +si:localuser:root

you can then run synaptic from either the terminal or the gui menu.

It's a good idea to remove localuser:root from the acl when finished:

$ xhost -si:localuser:root

see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland/gks
Worth-a-read:
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/961967/why-dont-gksu-gksudo-or-launching-a-graphical-application-with-sudo-work-with-w/961978#961978>