What to use for browser flash support?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jan 23 14:22:21 UTC 2018

NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 01/20/2018 06:00 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Running lubuntu 17.18 (artful)
>>
>> Using chromium, I run into some videos (On msnbc's full episodes of
>> their various news/talk shows.  clicking the `full episodes' link at:
>>    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show#!#full-episodes
>>
>> For example, brings up the error message:
>> ,----
>> |   To watch video, download or enable adobe flash player plug-in in
>> |   your security preferences.
>
> Without flash, clicking on the warning redirects to a Sen Jeff Flake
> interview video.
> Doing the same with flash enabled changes the warning to "Please sign in".

First, thanks for bringing the thread back to my OP problem.

I'm getting a little confused... are you talking above about doing
this from [l]ubuntu with chromium-browser... if so how are you
`enabling' flash.

I'm aware of the need to login periodically.  Just didn't get that was
the cause of being redirected like that.

Coming from a different host, it wants a login I guess... thanks for
the tipoff.

Haven't been able to get to the login screen from lubuntu as
apparently chromium-browser lacks flash.

I see now that when it jumps to Jeff Flake or whatever video is top on
the other list... Its trying to accommodate my browser lacking flash.

I thought the videos must be different, one flash the other not.  but
now I see its just finding me something my browser can play.

> Chromium	63.0.3239.84 (Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 16.04)
> OS	Linux
> Flash plugin	28.0.0.126 /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so
>

> $ dpkg -l | grep flash
> ii  flashplugin-installer
> 28.0.0.137ubuntu0.16.04.1                    amd64        Adobe Flash
> Player plugin installer
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
> You have version 28,0,0,126 installed

OK, got the installer installed... I only have access via ssh to the
subject lubuntu OS at the moment so will see what happens later today.

Thanks for the great input.