Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 26 07:22:11 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 08:20 +0200, grasso wrote:
> My question is now:
> Is it a good check to try running "sudo apt-get upgrade" to see if
> update will then be performed, because I did not yet tried.

Yesno. Don't follow the link you posted.

First run

  sudo apt upgrade

(alternatively you could run

  sudo apt-get update)

this will sync the package index files, not the packages.

Then run

  sudo apt full-upgrade

('sudo apt-get upgrade' isn't good, an alternative would be

  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade)

If there should be upgrades, they will be shown. You need to confirm if
you want to continue and do the upgrade or if you don't want to upgrade.

See

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/apt-get.8.html

and

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/apt.8.html

if you want to understand the difference between 'upgrade' and 'full-
upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade'.

By default there is one important difference between the "old"
'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and the "new" 'sudo apt full-upgrade'.

By default 'apt-get' caches the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives/,
'apt' doesn't.

If you want to use the "new" apt, but cache the packages, too, run

  sudo apt full-upgrade -o APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages=1