"The system detected a problem, do you want to report it?" dialog

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 25 20:28:01 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Samstag, den 25.08.2018, 20:27 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:
> On 25/08/18 11:27, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2018-08-25 at 11:16 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> > > Why?
> > A daemon needs to run.
> > Users don't understand what they are doing, by just clicking ok, so
> > it's
> > a security risk.
> I've heard that, but I don't understand why. The daemon just sends
> something (by email? sftp? https?) to a hard-wired address. No user
> intervention is possible. Sure, it has details of the user's system,
> but
> it HAS to, that's its job.

early apport versions actually ran a daemon ... since 16.04 thats not
true anymore, apport is socket activated based on syscalls from the
kernel when an app produces one of the SIG*'s i listed in a former mail
... it then triggers the UI popoup and asks if it is allowed to collect
data, no daemon involved anymore ...

if the request for collection is confirmed, whoopsie kicks in and
collects a core dump that gets sent to errors.ubuntu.com ...

manual input is not even required anymore, if you take a look at the
bottom table of the https://errors.ubuntu.com/ page you will see that
it simply now collects heuristicts about how often a bug happens based
on comparison of the core dumps, nowadays it is actually the ubuntu
developers or the QA that create a bug though this page by clicking the
"Create" link on the right, next to an issue entry ... more frequently
occuring issues bubble up on that table to raise awareness, the QA team
regulary checks this page ....

"End Users" are actually not much involved at all in this process
anymre (they can still always use the manual reporting page [1] though,
that was always there if you wanted to manually report a bug) but their
consent is requred to allow sending data to the error tracker ...

ciao
	oli

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug