How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:19:03 UTC 2018

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 at 16:44, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some
> voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm used
> to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer functions.
> Is there a way to do this?  It already has a somewhat old Ubuntu partition,
> and I could use it, but the update process to make it current would be
> laborious.  I'd much rather have a fresh install.

First you have some legwork...
Someone else will have to recommend Windows programs, if you need to do
this on a Windows computer.
You can download the iso file of Ubuntu you want from
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Here are some options...

If you have a USB flash drive,..
Then you can use Startup Disc Creator on Ubuntu to put the iso properly
onto a USB pendrive
You might have to press F2 during boot to get to your BIOS settings and
enable booting from USB
Connect USB to laptop, boot laptop and install that way.

If you want to go down the optical disk route...
On a suitable system, get/borrow an external DVD reader, burn the O.S. of
Ubuntu on to it.
Insert DVD disc into laptop, boot laptop and install that way.

Or find your nearest Linux User Group meeting and ask them in person for
help.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page -