More is broken in latest update

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 15 07:14:45 UTC 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:46:49 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>Running Xubuntu:
>4.10.0-32-generic #36~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 9 09:19:02 UTC 2017
>[snip]
>DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS"
>
>The /bin/more command appears to be broken beyond use:
>
>$ more
>more: unknown option -/bin/more
>[snip]
>I thought it had something to do with my aliases, but this is no
>alias.  There is no other 'more' on the system [snip]

It looks like an alias with a copy & paste mistake. On my right
now upgraded Ubuntu everything is ok.

I confused, are you doing partial upgrades? The regular Ubuntu kernels
are 4.4 the current hwe kernel is 4.15. It was 4.10 for 16.04.03, see

[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ uname -r
4.4.0-133-lowlatency
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ lsb_release -d
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ more

Usage:
 more [options] <file>...

A file perusal filter for CRT viewing.

 -d          display help instead of ringing bell
 -f          count logical rather than screen lines
 -l          suppress pause after form feed
 -c          do not scroll, display text and clean line ends
 -p          do not scroll, clean screen and display text
 -s          squeeze multiple blank lines into one
 -u          suppress underlining
 -<number>   the number of lines per screenful
 +<number>   display file beginning from line number
 +/<string>  display file beginning from search string match
 -V          display version information and exit

For more details see more(1).
[weremouse at moonstudio ~]$ more -/bin/more