problems with virtualbox

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 12 00:21:36 UTC 2018

I now have one machine working correctly.

I stated by backing up my home directory which includes the VirtualBox
VMs directory containing the virtual machine (in this case called NewXP)

I downloaded 64 bit ubuntu 16.04.

I did a clean install (wiping the disk clean), allowing updates during
the install.

I then copied back my home directory which included the VirtualBox VMs
directory.

I then downloaded from the Oracle site Virtual Box version
5.2_5.2.16-123759 and the extension pack of the same version.

These were installed and I found that USBĀ  did not work.

I then added my user name to vboxusers and now everything works.

Note that the install of 64 bit version did not add any components of
VirtualBox, while with the 32 bit version regular updates added an
incompatible version which screwed everything.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. Doing a full install of
ubuntu and changing from 32 to 64 bitĀ  and adding the user is probably
the simplest option for me. At my age trying to remember Unix commands
after a break of over 30 years is somewhat challenging.

Regards

Peter