problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Aug 11 10:25:43 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 12:09 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 09:52:28 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Unlikely the issue
> > > is solved.
> >
> > Why is everyone making such a meal of this? You can play with extension
> > packs until the cows come home, but if you're not in 'vboxusers' you
> > have no access to USB.
>
> I did not mention anything against adding the user to the appropriate
> group. It's already done, so why should I repeat something that
> needs not to be done anymore? However, if the correct extensions
> aren't available, you can't use USB 2.0, so at least this is needed,
> too, to solve the issue.
>
> The link posted by Liam describes what to do, but doesn't explain why a
> "ported back" "original virtual box" fails to access the required
> extensions, even while it worked before. Actually nobody could know what
> "ported back" "original virtual box" does mean. Were all virtual box
> settings copied? Were virtual machines copied? Something else?
>
> If you read back the whole thread, you'll notice that it's not easy to
> get useful information from the OP, most help is based on guessing.
> Instead of following a step by step guide, by copying commands for
> troubleshooting, the OP continues to do random actions without
> understanding what he does.
>
> So what is wrong with mentioning that the extensions are _needed_
> and explaining what likely is the culprit that it stopped working after
> porting back settings? It can not work without the extensions.

PS:

I'm puzzled that it worked before porting back whatsoever, if the OP
wasn't already member of the group 'vboxusers'. With this information in
mind, it makes no sense to recommend adding the user to this particular
group.

The OP never mentioned that he was in this group and then removed
himself from this group.

The only thing we really could recommend is fixing the extension issue,
since he explicitly mentioned:

"If is sect USB 2.0 the machine will not start and complains about a
possible incompatible version of the extension pack."

FWIW the hint from Peter McD to care about the VBoxGuestAddition.iso to
fix the USB issue is not useful at all, even without or wrong additions
the guest shouldn't fail to start.