problems with virtualbox

Peter McD peter.posts at gmx.net
Fri Aug 10 11:14:56 UTC 2018

Am 10.08.2018 um 12:33 schrieb Peter:
> What I have done is backe3d uphe working Virtual machine and then
> restored it to the Linux file system on the updated machine. The virtual
> box works but I cannot access the usb devices. All data is stored in the
> linux file system, not the virtual box and all files are accessible in
> the restored virtualbox.
I have linked the virtual box part to a really big partition.

In case of a fresh Virtual Box installation, I first start Virtual Box
an let it create its stuff in my home directory but take care that the
location of the virtual machines is on the big partiton.

When Virtual Box works, I set a symbolic link to the existing virtual
machines.

If USB doesn't work, check whether VBoxGuestAddition.iso is set
(included in Oracle's version), the location is

/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

> How do I export a virtual box?

You export just the virtual machine, not Virtual Box, very useful if you
want to try out something

Don't do it with Windows. It might demand an new registration.

And if you are at it, why not first set up a basic virtual Ubuntu, just
for finding where Virtual Box sets its stuff.

Presently I have an Xubuntu partly for that purpose.

cu
Peter