SNAPD out of date

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 6 19:14:32 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Montag, den 06.08.2018, 11:49 -0700 schrieb Bob:
> On 5 Aug I upgraded Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.4.  During the upgrade I got a
> popup
> that said SNAPD was out of date, I replied to continue the upgrade.
>
> I have no idea what SNAPD is or does.

snapd is the tool that manages packages of the new snap format that
more and more applications in ubuntu are delivered through... they
allow the app to be updated completely independent from the OS so it is
possible to have the latest libreoffice installed without having to
wait for the distro version to be updated.

they also allow to land fixes to the applications at a very fast
turnaround time (i.e. look at the stellarium thread here on the list,
an issue was found, fixed and released to all ubuntu versions (and
plenty of other distros) within 48h)

> Why was SNAPD not up to date as I apply all changes when I get
> notified there
> are updates available?

i can not answer this since i dont know what was up to date or not at
the moment of upgrade, but below:

> snapd/bionic-updates,now 2.34.2+18.04 amd64 [installed]
> snapd/bionic 2.32.5+18.04 amd64

... shows that the latest version of the deb according to:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/

...is installed on your system

> This is all very confusing.

to make it even more confusing, the snapd version of the deb is
actually irrelevant since snapd re-executes itself to the version
shipped in the core snap as soon as this is installed. to get the
actually running versions of everything related to snap packages you
can run:

snap version

from the commandline, that will give you accurate info ...

ciao
	oli