Setup for a dash cam.

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:26:15 UTC 2017

On 25 September 2017 at 09:09, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 00:05:37 -0700, Bob wrote:
>>** Reply to message from Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> on Mon,
>>25 Sep 2017 08:06:03 +0200

>>> The dash cam indicates that the driver insists in law instead of
>>> driving foresighted and considerately.
>>
>>That is not true.  I use one to protect me form those "socially
>>incompetent idiots" that do not follow the rules.
>
> Everybody could make a mistake, accidents could happen. As a
> driver I fortunately only was involved in accidents happening on
> parking lots with minimal material damage. While the perceived
> anonymity of road users does cause a little bit of aggression, most
> road users including the non-motor-operated road users still act
> civilized. If you take a look at Russia were expensive cars seem to be
> more important status symbol then in many other countries, those dash
> cams don't solve an issue, it seems to be vice versa and seems to
> increase aggression a lot. Social competent road users care about those
> who don't follow rules by being foresighted and considerately. Dash
> cams seemingly decrease the will to care about those who don't follow
> rules, people become less foresighted and considerately. To stay calm
> and put on the breaks if possible, is much better, than to constantly
> find fault and blow a horn.

We are getting way off topic here, but just to add my one comment. A
friend was in a collision with a store delivery vehicle going too fast
in the opposite direction round a corner on a narrow country lane.
They each maintained it was the others fault and if my friend had not
had a dashcam then no doubt the insurance companies would have decided
that both parties would loose their no claims bonus. As she had the
dashcam evidence she was able to prove that she had stopped in plenty
of time but the van had been unable to stop.
Also I believe that a dashcam encourages one to drive more carefully.
The video evidence will be useless in such a situation unless the one
with video was not in the wrong.

Colin