Ubuntu server holding back on me

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Sep 22 17:38:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:21:43 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>sudo apt update ; sudo apt full-upgrade -y ; sudo apt autoremove -y ;
>sudo apt clean ; sudo apt purge
>
>Ralf will probably pop up and scold me for using ``;'' instead of
>``&&''

It's not dangerous, but makes no sense to run an upgrade after the
update fails, so it doesn't matter if your hint does use ";" or "&&".

You get a complaint from me, for using the assume-yes option, not for
using the semicolon.

Btw. "apt clean" makes no sense unless you run
"apt full-upgrade -o APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages=1" or you made
keeping packages the default, since by the original apt default packages
aren't cached. I recommend against usage of purge, unless important
configs are backuped. Again, I'm against the assume-yes option, users
should take the time to read, understand and confirm.