Software updater snuck in a package that is unwanted

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 08:26:28 UTC 2017

On 18 October 2017 at 09:07, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:

> There is an aspect to the data that is shown in that response, and that is
> that, when I previously, as posted in a message in this thread, ran the
> command to purge the bad package, the response included reference to
> packages that were redundant, and, that should be removed using a command
> like
> sudo apt auto-remove
> which I sunsequently ran, and, when I ran that command, it recycled, and,
> ran for about 20-30 minutes, removing (what I understand to be) redundant
> kernels and packages, and, showing lines of text that resembled (if not
> were) the lines of text in the above response, that related to redundant
> kernel versions.

Running autoremove (not auto-remove, detail is important) which
removes old kernels, as yours has done, will cause the reboot request
message, so the fact that you got that does not indicate that updates
were installed behind your back.

I suggest you reboot (if you have not already done so) and then wait
longer to see whether you do get notified of updates rather than it
automatically installing stuff.

Colin