name resolution

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Nov 25 09:18:45 UTC 2017

Tom H schreef op 24-11-2017 18:55:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
>> Tom H schreef op 24-11-2017 9:47:
>>>
>>> Lennart re-implemented Apple's Bonjour as avahi, in the same way that
>>> MS's smb was re-implemented by others as samba.
>>
>> No one forced anyone to use SMB *or else*.
>>
>> I don't think we need to be educated on the word "reimplementation".
>>
>> The difference is in the coercion.
>
> If there's coercion, it's from Ubuntu not avahi or its developers.

Well actually all distributions made this choice.

There is not much alternative at present until someone steps in, or
unless someone steps in, and comes up with a better solution.

A best-of-both-worlds thing.

A compromise.

Right now it is 100% mDNS and 0% unicast DNS.

That's not a compromise.

So distributions just go with what the developers of the packages want.

Otherwise you have to go against the grain.

Go against the flow.

That is only possible if you have a better solution.

So you can't really blame Ubuntu if the Avahi developers say "It's our
way or the highway".

I think.

That said, I'm sure those developers are open to suggestions, as
evidenced, but it just hasn't materialized.

I don't personally think the two systems can't coexist.

I think the attitude that they can't, is what causes the problems.

Like I said, the solution outlined....

Is not terribly hard.

1) accept a max 30cs delay in local uncached requests and accept leakage
onto the internet towards domain servers
2) have no delay but accept leakage onto the internet towards domain
servers
3)

check for the existence of a local SOA record in one of the configured
nameservers and if it exists, let dns queries for .local precede mDNS
queries for .local

> But
> it's not full coercion. If you want to use ".local" as an internal
> domain name and you only use Linux and BSD on your lan, you can.

I know. I just didn't know how until Liam told me.

I mean for zeroconf that is pretty hard.

> Ubuntu's decided that its users benefit from having avahi run by
> default. You have the choice of disabling it if you don't like or want
> it, just like you can disable other default daemons and features.

Yes but it's not exaclty zeroconf.

Not "only Linux and BSD" though.

You can say "Windows and Linux".

The only thing that's incompatible is the Mac.

Because the Mac uses the same configuration as standard Ubuntu today.