sync to external drive

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 15:20:31 UTC 2017

On 23 November 2017 at 14:24, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

> Dar is really terrible and extremely hard to use, the manual page is 20 to
> 30 pages long or more (a lot more probably) and hard to read for quick
> reference, and it is not meant for syncing, but for archiving, with special
> emphasis on the splitting of files.

You've noticed I don't often agree with you... :-) But I do on this one!

> I really wish people would stop recommending mediocre tools that just waste
> everyone's time.

I know what you mean. My most recent spare laptop is now an
experimental testbed for non-Linux OSes. One is eComStation. I used to
like OS/2, about 25y ago.

It doesn't understand perfectly legal disk partitioning created by
Linux. So I'm using a tool called DFSee.

It is the nastiest piece of partitioning software I've seen in
decades. The OS/2 fans love it.

People like strange things. One person's powerful tool is another's nightmare.

I raise hackles because I hate both vi/vim/elvis _and_ Emacs. And Nano. And Joe.

I like eFTE and SetEdit and Tilde.

Nobody's heard of them and Unix greybeards thing I'm insane. Even
though I'm a Unix greybeard too. This entertains me.

> Every time a question like this is asked a number of underdeveloped and/or
> inappropriate solutions are brought to the table that no one in his right
> mind would actually use for the job.

Welcome to the FOSS Unix world. :-/

> Let's call it the Tiny Tools List.
>
> For instance, if you are used to tar, dar is incomprehensible.
>
> Last time I spent 15 minutes trying to remember how to unpack a serial
> archive (stream archive).
>
> It wouldn't simply recognise that it was a stream archive, no it required a
> special option for that.
>
> I have never used a tool that was harder than dar (well except for Vim maybe
> :p).

Agreed.

> Yes and aufs is difficult, but still doable.

If I understand what it is, I don't see much comparison.

Rsync FTW, IMHO.

> It just seems pretty clear that the user wanted a GUI tool and that several
> good ones have already been mentioned.
>
> Why bring up the mediocre stuff you know.
>
> Beats me.

Because they thought it had an optional extra GUI, I presume. Still a
bizarre response, though.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com