mediocre packages [was: sync to external drive]

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Nov 23 19:21:51 UTC 2017

Liam Proven schreef op 23-11-2017 16:20:

> You've noticed I don't often agree with you... :-) But I do on this
> one!

Well you like user-friendly software.

That's a little a-typical in Linux.

> People like strange things. One person's powerful tool is another's
> nightmare.

Yeah but...

Most of the time it is not even that, it is not even their power tool.

I think most of the time they are recommending something they haven't
actually used a lot themselves.

> I raise hackles because I hate both vi/vim/elvis _and_ Emacs. And Nano.
> And Joe.

If it was up to me Emacs would be removed from all Linux distributions.

Vim is fine, it is just a single program, pretty small, doesn't bother
anyone.

> I like eFTE and SetEdit and Tilde.

Tilde is that MS-DOS editor right.

I find it hard to imagine I could live without Vim though.

It would have to be a text editor (text mode editor) with a lot of
features.

Vim tends to become less ghastly as you learn more important stuff you
never could learn before because there really isn't that good
documentation.

For example * makes you jump back to the previous spot you came from
before you searched something.

No wait, muscle memory is wrong, muscle memory is right.

It's Ctrl-O !!

* actually searches the keyword under the cursor.

So together you can hop somewhere and return.

Also another thing I learned was to use :r to read files into the
current file you are editing.

You can also execute some shell filter in between:

:r file | grep "text"

Wrong again.

Haha.

:r !cat file.sh | grep "text"

In case you forget to attain sudo rights before editing:

:w !sudo tee %

Little bit offtopic of course.

> Welcome to the FOSS Unix world. :-/

>> I have never used a tool that was harder than dar (well except for Vim
>> maybe
>> :p).
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Yes and aufs is difficult, but still doable.
>
> If I understand what it is, I don't see much comparison.

Difficult man page, odd syntax for passing options to mounts.

> Rsync FTW, IMHO.

For me too many options.

I use it.

But like Vim I only scratch the surface.

> Because they thought it had an optional extra GUI, I presume. Still a
> bizarre response, though.

Those things tend to be extremely lacking too.

You know what was entertaining?

Sitting in a Debian 7 installation and using aptitude

To just lazily browse packages.

There is a wealth of stuff you usually will never find because you use
apt.

Aptitude is a bit hard to get used to but after that it is pretty nice
to use.

With one small big 'bug'....

But it is a usable "GUI" and it has LISTS and MENUS and it is even
MULTI-WINDOW

And it is intuitive enough that you accidentally discover stuff you can
use.

It just doesn't (didn't) reverse automatically added packages when you
remove the main added package again, leaving auto-installed packages
that are not linked to anything but that are also not autoremoved by
apt-get.

Which is deeply annoying.

Although you could press ! to clear this stuff (I think) that was not
actually a reverse operation.

So if you install dkms it installs gcc-4.6 and cpp-4.6, if you remove
dkms it leaves gcc and cpp chosen,

if you then install it installs them, both are set to auto, but they are
not auto cleaned.

Kinda ruined my experience.... but anyway.